Monday, April 25, 2011

Missions Monday

Posted by Ashley Hoover

"$8 billion is spent PER YEAR on over 500 conferences to talk missions. That's more than HALF the total spent on doing missions" -The Gospel Coalition

4 comments:

Lesley said...

That's a lot of money that could be better used in other ways. If only the time, energy and resources were spent on doing instead of talking. "But be ye doers of the word and not hearers only..."

Ben said...

So to clarify- that 8bil is in addition to, say the 15bil spent on DOING missions. The 8bil is not part of the 15bil spent for missions. Do I have that right?
hmmm. People are going to attend events and splurge on themselves anyways- I will and do- so if a portion of those proceeds go to missions, then that's clever and resourseful. I'm not sure if I get the big picture on the cash flow here-
Some expense is incurred from providing an event. Atendees reimburse you for the expense as well as provide you with more, yielding a profit. I wonder if that expense is the 8bil and the profit is considered the "DOING."
I think that's all fine except then people may feel like they contributed a lot when really the majority was just to cover a base expense. This does not promote good giving from strictly a money sense.
What about from a "heart" perspective? This is already too long! Why don't you swing by some time and we can chat about it :)

Wow Ben, you must think a lot. :) You do bring up some good points though. I confess I have no idea how they calculated it and if the 8bil. is part of or in addition to the total amount. I just read it and thought it was interesting. While I agree that not all conferences on missions are bad, I think there is a real lack today of emphasis on missions in the local church so getting word out in other ways is good. I think the danger comes in when that's all it's about. It can't be just all lavish conventions and no action afterward. And I do wonder just how much money is really gained if any, since so much probably goes to just cover the cost to hold the event. If I were going to go to some event I'd love for the topic to be missions 'cause I love it, I think like for everything there needs to be balance.
I'll be back in two weeks. ;)

Lesley said...

Yes Sis, he does. But that's a good thing. ;D

Can't WAIT to see you SOON!!! Love you!